Friday, October 28, 2011

Maria McKee in After the Triumph of Your Birth

Maria McKee, one of my all-time favorite musicians and writers, has recently turned her attention to the world of film and I wanted to supply some information on the project here. After the Triumph of Your Birth is an upcoming Independent feature from first-time writer and director Jim Akin, a talented artist whom I know via his co-production and co-songwriting duties on some of Maria's greatest albums. Starring Tom Dunne, Tessa Ferrer, Rob Zabrecky, Dean Ogle, Maria Doyle Kennedy, Kristina Nekyia, Sari LeSueur and McKee (who also provides the film's soundtrack), After the Triumph of Your Birth has been described as a, "a surreal, dark humored portrait of the outsider", that uses, "a forgotten Los Angeles as a backdrop", for, "four story lines (that) converge in a film that examines the crossover between desperation and tenderness." The just-recently released trailer is extremely intriguing and it promises a film as thought-provoking as it is visually dazzling.



Maria McKee has been a personal hero of mine since I discovered her band Lone Justice in the eighties shortly after their first LP hit the stores. Maria's music and writing has been hugely influential to me both professionally and personally, so I am thrilled to see her working on a film although I am not surprised, as she has always been one of the most cinematic of all of the post-punk American songwriters. After all, this is an artist who kick-started her explosive and uncompromising career singing a song called "East of Eden".

I have no doubt After the Triumph of Your Birth will be among the most fascinating and valuable American films on the horizon and I can't wait to see it. In the meantime, I invite everyone to check out its official page and join along on the journey by liking it over at its Facebook page.

...

No comments:

Post a Comment