Monday, November 28, 2011

Ken Russell R.I.P.


I woke up to the very sad news this morning that the great Ken Russell has passed away at the age of 84. I first discovered Russell's films of as a teenager in the eighties when I first saw his searing and unforgettable Crimes of Passion. I soon immersed myself in as much of his work I could find at the time and everything from Women in Love to The Lair of the White Worm became favorites of mine. While he made many films that I count among the best of British Cinema, the film by Russell that has continued to haunt me in the twenty or so years since it first shook my world is The Devils, a film which I count among the great works of art I have ever seen.

I'm still trying to process the fact that Ken Russell has left us but I did want to send good wishes to his friends and family on this very sad day. For fellow fans, pull out your favorite film from the great man and rewatch it with the kind of awe and respect all of his work demands.

No comments:

Post a Comment